W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webplatform@w3.org > April 2013

Community Development Task Force

From: David R. Herz <WPD@theherzes.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:11:42 +0300
Cc: <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Message-ID: <00e001ce3b2a$0dde22d0$299a6870$@com>
If you would like me to reach out to anyone in Israel, I’d be happy to do so. 

 

Just to throw out an idea, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to try to connect to sites for start-ups or sites that aggregate lists of other sites.  I am thinking here Springwise.com or makersrow.com.  People who are starting up and trying to sell services and create new platforms should be particularly concerned about the standards as coding according to them should ensure consistent image, appearance and accessibility across platforms.

 

In Springwise’s case, they are presenting start-ups.  Maker’s Row aggregates manufacturer information.  

 

I am in Israel, and it seems there are many sites here  (government and my bank included) that only really work on Internet Explorer.  I’ve had the same experience with US based sites as well.  So, something like this:

 

When people demand your services, you can force them to use your preferred browser, but when you are trying to sell your services in a competitive marketplace, you better make sure your web site is accessible to all comers.  For this we have standards.  For this the WPD  team is documenting them so that you too can make sure your site is compliant.  Help us get the word out.

 

or appeal to the entrepreneur, and the professors catering to those who wish to be entrepreneurs.  You must get to market to succeed, a compliant site will help you do so.  So let’s be clear on what a compliant site entails, so that your students can use best practices to make sure there are no barriers when others try to access their sites or services.

 

Just throwing stuff out there because I don’t already have too much going on.

 

David R. Herz

 <mailto:mr@theherzes.com> wpd@theherzes.com

 

From: Patrick D'Souza [mailto:pdsouza@about.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:54 PM
To: Scott Rowe
Cc: public-webplatform@w3.org
Subject: Re: Community Development Task Force Meeting Notes

 

Doc sprints in New York. Yay !!! :):)

On 04/16/2013 02:50 PM, Scott Rowe wrote:

Thanks to all who attended!  

 

At today's meeting of the Community Development task force, we had the following. You can find all of the information below at the following page: 

http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Community/Meetings/Community_Development

 

Agenda

*	Establish an irregular meeting time.
*	Develop a plan for university outreach and communication.
*	Decide when/where to hold up-coming doc sprints.

 

Actions

 

Meeting time

*	Resolved: the meeting's appointed time shall remain Tuesdays via Zakim at 10:00 Pacific Time, to be held only if there is an agenda.
*	Doug (shepazu): confirm the Zakim reservation and reestablish the conference code, 3627 for these meetings.

University outreach

*	Julee to contact Alex (jkomoros) about potential internship funding and availability.
*	Julee to create internal spreadsheet listing contacts, their address and particulars.
*	All to fill in the spreadsheet with contacts - having done the legwork to sign them up.
*	Doug (shepazu) to contact W3C member universities.
*	Julee to edit student recruitment message [1] with more detail about internships and specific tasks/projects for recruits.

Doc Sprints

*	Resolved: Holding a doc sprint at OpenHelp would be contingent upon Mozilla also holding a doc sprint. Not likely.
*	Tabled: Doc sprint at OSCon, July in Portland, OR.
*	Tabled: Doc sprint to coincide with Internet Week New York [2].
*	Tabled: Doc sprint in North Carolina.
*	Tabled: Doc sprint in New York or Boston area late summer.
*	Scott: To work with Peter to identify conferences to target for New York/Boston late summer.
*	Tabled: Doc sprint in Amsterdam, with Frontiers conference in October.

Next meeting

 

We'll hold another meeting next week to discuss progress on actions and tabled items.

 

 

Minutes

 

10:10 AM — julee present

10:12 AM <scottrowe_> present

10:12 AM — jswisher is present

10:12 AM <shepazu> present

10:12 AM <waiseto> present

10:12 AM → Ryan_Lane joined (~Ryan_Lane@wikimedia/Ryan-lane)

10:13 AM <scottrowe_> first decision: we'll keep this time and bridge

10:13 AM <scottrowe_> Doug will make sure that the old conference number, 3627 is valid

10:15 AM <scottrowe_> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/Communications/Universities

10:17 AM <scottrowe_> University outreach: Julee edited the above

10:18 AM <scottrowe_> jkomoros mentioned that there may be internship money available.

10:23 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Julee to confirm with Doug, Alex that we have a program in place before we advertise it in public-webplatform-news.

10:23 AM <scottrowe_> It may be a Google Summer of Code or like program.

10:24 AM → jay_ joined (57bd77b9@gateway/web/freenode/ip.87.189.119.185)

10:25 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: Summer of Code excludes documentation work

10:32 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Wei to send note to Web Education group of W3C, requesting subscriptions to public-webplatform-news, with the body of Julee's Universities note.

10:43 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Julee to create an internal (not shared publicly) spreadsheet of addresses.

10:46 AM <scottrowe_> AI: All to contribute recruits to the spreadsheet.

10:46 AM <julee> W3C university members

10:46 AM <scottrowe_> AI: shepazu to contact Universities that are members of W3C

10:46 AM <waiseto> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List :)

10:47 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: English writing programs, technical communication, engineering.

10:50 AM <scottrowe_> next topic, doc sprints

10:50 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: would like to know who can help with an east coast doc sprint

10:51 AM <scottrowe_> julee: question on the suitability of OpenHelp

10:52 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: OpenHelp does not attract a lot of web developers

10:52 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: we would need to reruit our own attendees

10:56 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: attending with Mozilla would build ties between us and Moz

10:56 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: might be an opportunity to build content on both sites

10:58 AM <julee> https://www.internetweekny.com/

11:01 AM <julee> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Community/Community_Events

11:01 AM <scottrowe_> resolved: Doc Sprint at OpenHelp contingent upon Mozilla's participation.

11:02 AM <scottrowe_> Meeting adjourned

 

[1] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/Communications/Universities

[2] https://www.internetweekny.com/

 

-- 
Patrick D'Souza Developer, Metrics About.com | Do more 1500 Broadway, 6th Floor New York, NY, 10036 AIM: padsouza
Received on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 05:12:24 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:13:46 UTC