Re: Community Development Task Force

Hi David,

This all makes sense, completely. Cross browser compatibility is pretty much a core feature of the series of best practices we try to promote, which go along with best practices. I think the aggregation sites you cite are prime candidates for needing to ensure cross browser compatibility to survive in a competitive marketplace.

Banks and government sites however, are a different kettle of fish. They are often IE only because they often rely on legacy systems that only work in IE, sold to them during the height of the IE dominance at the end of the 90s. To update all their systems to something that worked cross browser would be considered not worth it.

But yes, these kind of cross browser best practice message should be at the heart of whatever we do. 

Chris Mills
Opera Software,
W3C Fellow, web education and
Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (

On 17 Apr 2013, at 06:11, "David R. Herz" <> wrote:

> If you would like me to reach out to anyone in Israel, I’d be happy to do so.
> Just to throw out an idea, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to try to connect to sites for start-ups or sites that aggregate lists of other sites.  I am thinking here  People who are starting up and trying to sell services and create new platforms should be particularly concerned about the standards as coding according to them should ensure consistent image, appearance and accessibility across platforms.
> In Springwise’s case, they are presenting start-ups.  Maker’s Row aggregates manufacturer information. 
> I am in Israel, and it seems there are many sites here  (government and my bank included) that only really work on Internet Explorer.  I’ve had the same experience with US based sites as well.  So, something like this:
> When people demand your services, you can force them to use your preferred browser, but when you are trying to sell your services in a competitive marketplace, you better make sure your web site is accessible to all comers.  For this we have standards.  For this the WPD  team is documenting them so that you too can make sure your site is compliant.  Help us get the word out.
> or appeal to the entrepreneur, and the professors catering to those who wish to be entrepreneurs.  You must get to market to succeed, a compliant site will help you do so.  So let’s be clear on what a compliant site entails, so that your students can use best practices to make sure there are no barriers when others try to access their sites or services.
> Just throwing stuff out there because I don’t already have too much going on.
> David R. Herz
> From: Patrick D'Souza [] 
> Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:54 PM
> To: Scott Rowe
> Cc:
> Subject: Re: Community Development Task Force Meeting Notes
> Doc sprints in New York. Yay !!! :):)
> On 04/16/2013 02:50 PM, Scott Rowe wrote:
> Thanks to all who attended! 
> At today's meeting of the Community Development task force, we had the following. You can find all of the information below at the following page:
> Agenda
>  • Establish an irregular meeting time.
>  • Develop a plan for university outreach and communication.
>  • Decide when/where to hold up-coming doc sprints.
> Actions
> Meeting time
>  • Resolved: the meeting's appointed time shall remain Tuesdays via Zakim at 10:00 Pacific Time, to be held only if there is an agenda.
>  • Doug (shepazu): confirm the Zakim reservation and reestablish the conference code, 3627 for these meetings.
> University outreach
>  • Julee to contact Alex (jkomoros) about potential internship funding and availability.
>  • Julee to create internal spreadsheet listing contacts, their address and particulars.
>  • All to fill in the spreadsheet with contacts - having done the legwork to sign them up.
>  • Doug (shepazu) to contact W3C member universities.
>  • Julee to edit student recruitment message [1] with more detail about internships and specific tasks/projects for recruits.
> Doc Sprints
>  • Resolved: Holding a doc sprint at OpenHelp would be contingent upon Mozilla also holding a doc sprint. Not likely.
>  • Tabled: Doc sprint at OSCon, July in Portland, OR.
>  • Tabled: Doc sprint to coincide with Internet Week New York [2].
>  • Tabled: Doc sprint in North Carolina.
>  • Tabled: Doc sprint in New York or Boston area late summer.
>  • Scott: To work with Peter to identify conferences to target for New York/Boston late summer.
>  • Tabled: Doc sprint in Amsterdam, with Frontiers conference in October.
> Next meeting
> We'll hold another meeting next week to discuss progress on actions and tabled items.
> Minutes
> 10:10 AM — julee present
> 10:12 AM <scottrowe_> present
> 10:12 AM — jswisher is present
> 10:12 AM <shepazu> present
> 10:12 AM <waiseto> present
> 10:12 AM → Ryan_Lane joined (~Ryan_Lane@wikimedia/Ryan-lane)
> 10:13 AM <scottrowe_> first decision: we'll keep this time and bridge
> 10:13 AM <scottrowe_> Doug will make sure that the old conference number, 3627 is valid
> 10:15 AM <scottrowe_>
> 10:17 AM <scottrowe_> University outreach: Julee edited the above
> 10:18 AM <scottrowe_> jkomoros mentioned that there may be internship money available.
> 10:23 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Julee to confirm with Doug, Alex that we have a program in place before we advertise it in public-webplatform-news.
> 10:23 AM <scottrowe_> It may be a Google Summer of Code or like program.
> 10:24 AM → jay_ joined (57bd77b9@gateway/web/freenode/ip.
> 10:25 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: Summer of Code excludes documentation work
> 10:32 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Wei to send note to Web Education group of W3C, requesting subscriptions to public-webplatform-news, with the body of Julee's Universities note.
> 10:43 AM <scottrowe_> AI: Julee to create an internal (not shared publicly) spreadsheet of addresses.
> 10:46 AM <scottrowe_> AI: All to contribute recruits to the spreadsheet.
> 10:46 AM <julee> W3C university members
> 10:46 AM <scottrowe_> AI: shepazu to contact Universities that are members of W3C
> 10:46 AM <waiseto> :)
> 10:47 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: English writing programs, technical communication, engineering.
> 10:50 AM <scottrowe_> next topic, doc sprints
> 10:50 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: would like to know who can help with an east coast doc sprint
> 10:51 AM <scottrowe_> julee: question on the suitability of OpenHelp
> 10:52 AM <scottrowe_> jswisher: OpenHelp does not attract a lot of web developers
> 10:52 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: we would need to reruit our own attendees
> 10:56 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: attending with Mozilla would build ties between us and Moz
> 10:56 AM <scottrowe_> shepazu: might be an opportunity to build content on both sites
> 10:58 AM <julee>
> 11:01 AM <julee>
> 11:01 AM <scottrowe_> resolved: Doc Sprint at OpenHelp contingent upon Mozilla's participation.
> 11:02 AM <scottrowe_> Meeting adjourned
> [1]
> [2]
> -- 
> Patrick D'Souza Developer, Metrics | Do more 1500 Broadway, 6th Floor New York, NY, 10036 AIM: padsouza

Received on Wednesday, 17 April 2013 07:37:29 UTC