Re: Forging forward with the new material - any updates?

On 7 Dec 2011, at 16:26, Adrian Roselli wrote:

> Chris,
>
> (pardon the top posting, Outlook is not the best email client for
> listservs)

No worries mate!

> As I am new to the group, it is hard for me to get a sense of what is
> where and who all the players and skills are. Without a list of who has
> what and/or what needs to be done within an overarching plan, it's hard
> for me to see the forest past these few branches of emails. Unless
> http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/WSC_proposed_updates is that list
> (sans assignments or claims).

the proposed updates is a list that I drew up a while ago - this is basically just notes on what I think needs to be added to the learning material to bring it up to date and add what it needs to be comprehensive. But it doesn't feature info on who has picked up these tasks, etc.

The place to go for that is http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Main_Page#Project_activities. For example, go to the http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Learning_material page and you'll see the notes I've made on the different activities I'm trying to get started up, and who has agreed to contribute to those tasks.

> - How does one call dibs?

I probably need a better system for this, but at the moment it's pretty much first come first served.

1. You see a call for volunteers to work on a task
2. You look at the details of the task, eg at http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Learning_material#Update_CSS_sections
3. You Let me know you want to be involved, and add your name to the list of contributors, eg http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Learning_material#CSS_update_contributors
4. You decide on what article or spec to work on, and record what you are doing, to let others know someone is already working on that task, eg http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Learning_material#Articles_in_progress
5. Once that work is done, you put it in an already updated list, eg http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Learning_material#Already_updated, and mail the list to ask for a reviewer/comments.

> - You mention individual groups, is there more than just this list?

Apologies, by this I meant the groups working on the different tasks, eg "Update CSs sections"

> - I think assigning work is tricky in this environment, but proofreading
> might need to be assigned (based on my own experience).

Yup. I think we need a better system, ultimately.