New proposal: Adding WebRTC/MediaCapture permissions to the permissions model

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 22:09:15 +0100
To: "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>
Hello WebAppSec people!

The topic of permissions has been much on the mind of the WebRTC WG and
the Media Capture task force.
One suggestion has been to use the WebAppSec "permissions" model to
manage our permissions - this seems attractive on the surface, but we're
not sure if we understand all the implications.

In order to explore this further, I wrote up a sketch for how this could
be done based on my understanding of the permissions document. The
proposal is enclosed, and is also available as a GDoc on this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13c4hTlm2XgVYpxfGL1a8fcvI1CAUdIgd662DfElk_ow/edit?usp=sharing

This seems to have had a reasonable reception in the Media Capture group.
If it also meets favor (possibly after a rewrite based on advice) in
this group, it could be turned into a pull request against the
Permissions API document.

Would that seem like a reasonable plan?

Harald Alvestrand
speaking, in this case, as technical contributor to Media Capture and WebRTC