Re: [push] Consider renaming "push notification" to "push message" in the Push API spec

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@google.com>wrote:

> The term "push notification" in
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/push/raw-file/tip/index.html#dfn-push-notification
> seems to confuse people into thinking that the user will be
> notified/bothered when such a message arrives. This is reinforced by
> the fact that iOS uses "push notification" for exactly that: a way to
> notify the user based on a message from a server. See
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/RemoteNotificationsPG/Chapters/WhatAreRemoteNotif.html
> .

iOS push notifications refer to sending data to the device, including
sending data to a running application without doing anything user-visible.
 The part of push notifications that displays a message to the user is
referred to as an alert, which is an optional part of a push notification.

Since the spec already uses the name "PushMessage" for the thing
> delivered by a push notification
> (https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/push/raw-file/tip/index.html#pushmessage-interface
> ),
> it seems like "push message" would be a good replacement for the
> current ambiguous name.

Calling them "push messages" tells me that it does mean a message to the
user.  I think using the established term "push notification" is clearer
than making up a new term.

--
Glenn Maynard