Re: [admin] Testing and GitHub login names

On 4/22/13 2:29 PM, ext Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 19/04/2013 06:15 , Arthur Barstow wrote:
>> Test Facilitators, Editors, All,
>>
>> If you intend to continue to participate in WebApps' testing effort or
>> you intend to begin to participate, please send your GitHub login name
>> to Robin (robin@w3.org) so he can make sure you have appropriate access
>> to WebApps' test directories.
>
> I would like to point out an important detail here: unless you want to
> review tests or to participate in the general shepherding of the test
> suite, you don't need to send me your GitHub login.
>
> More specifically, if you only plan to contribute tests, you don't
> need to send me anything: you already can.
>
> The way things works for contributors (irrespective of whether they
> have push access or not) is this: all contributions are made through
> pull requests. That's how we organise code review.

Yes, thanks for this clarification.

> The only thing that we ask is that pull requests not be merged by
> whoever made the request.

Is this to prevent the `fox guarding the chicken coop`, so to speak?

If a test facilitator submits tests (i.e. makes a PR) and everyone that
reviews them says they are OK, it seems like the facilitator should be
able to do the merge.

(My apologies if I still don't quite understand all of the work flow here.)

> So anyone with a GitHub account is already 100% set up to contribute.
>
> If you *do* wish to help with the reviewing and organisation effort,
> you're more than welcome to and I'll be happy to add you. I just
> wanted to make sure that people realise there's zero overhead for
> regular contributions.

Excellent.

-AB