Re: [webcomponents]: Platonic form of custom elements declarative syntax

*"Shouldn't we prevent such a thing? I can't redefine a <button>'s
"template.  There should be some guarantee I'm getting the same <x-foo>
(API, look and feel) after it's been registered. What's the use case for
swapping in a new template?"*

We've come across various occasions where we have a custom element, let's
say it's an <x-todo>, that has multiple content/view states (not something
achievable by a simple class/style change). There may be 200 of these
elements in a "summary view" in the list panel of the page in question.
When the user performs an action that requires an <x-todo> in summary view
to display a more complex, "detail view", we've found that the easiest way
to reuse elements, make the change in the least amount of code, and avoid
the cumbersome and repetitive paradigm of creating specific
<x-todo-summary> and <x-todo-detail> elements for this purpose, is to
simply have two different <template> elements for each view type. The views
can be radically different in structure and visual style - yet thanks to
our ability to simply swap out the template association on the specific
<x-todo> in question, the whole thing is a snap: myTodoElement.template =
'detail-template';

Does this help clarify a bit?