Re: [webcomponents]: Platonic form of custom elements declarative syntax

Have to lean towards Raf and Daniel on this one. Making a element
registation a concern of <template> doesn't feel right. In this case, explicit
structure and a few more characters is worth it.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Daniel Buchner <daniel@mozilla.com> wrote:

> It's incredibly important that we agree that association of a <template>
> with <element> happens on the element side, something like: <element
> template="foo-template"> (or by placing the template inside element, if
> that is the API we want). I don't think this part is opinion, but because
> doing the reverse - marking on the <template> which <element> it refers to
> - hinders a few valid use-cases:
>
>    - one <template> from being used by many different <elements>
>    - changing a template association on a single instance of an element
>    type
>       - say you have an <x-foo> on the page that you want to switch
>       template associations on, but not for every other <x-foo> in the document.
>       Wouldn't this case be far more clear cut if you could just query for the
>       element and change some property? For instance: fooElement.template =
>       'foo-template-2'; Boom! This particular foo element just switched templates.
>
> Shouldn't we prevent such a thing? I can't redefine a <button>'s
"template.  There should be some guarantee I'm getting the same <x-foo>
(API, look and feel) after it's been registered. What's the use case for
swapping in a new template?