Re: [eventsource] Moving Server-sent Events spec back to Last Call

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:24:01 +0100, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
> wrote:
> > Given the information below, I think it would be useful to move this
> > spec to a "test-ready" state. That is, publish it as a Last Call Working
> > Draft now and if there are known issues, document them in the Status of
> > the Document Section. Then, after a fixed review period, if no
> > substantial changes are agreed, the spec can be moved to Candidate
> > Recommendation and work on a test suite can begin. Naturally, if major
> > changes are agreed, the spec will need to return to Working Draft.
> >
> > Are there any objections to doing the above?
>
> Test suite is pretty much finished (I have a few things left to clean up and
> need to put it on w3c-test.org now that it accepts PHP):
>
> http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/EventSource/

At least this test needs updating for recent changes:

  http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/EventSource/request-2xx.htm

The test suite seems very short for the spec... in particular, it doesn't
seem to test the parsing of the event format very well. But it's hard to
say for sure without seeing the source of the support files. Also, the
tests seem to rely on a big external file, which is generally bad
practice, but I'm not familiar enough with the test harness to be able to
tell whether this is a real problem or not. Personally I prefer test
harnesses that keep well out of the way, e.g. by using parent.test() to
report results -- for example, see:

   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/parsing/encoding/001.html

...which works fine as a stand-alone test (and has no external
dependencies) but can also work in a harness:

   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/parsing/encoding/all.html

I probably shouldn't be whining about tests though given that I didn't
write any for this spec. :-)