Re: [eventsource] Moving Server-sent Events spec back to Last Call

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:49:28 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Test suite is pretty much finished (I have a few things left to clean
>> up and need to put it on w3c-test.org now that it accepts PHP):

I think I will postpone doing this. It only increases the amount of places
I have to keep updated while giving very little in return.

>> http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/EventSource/

The source is still accessible here:

http://tc.labs.opera.com/svn/apis/EventSource/

> At least this test needs updating for recent changes:
>
>   http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/EventSource/request-2xx.htm

It has been removed and request-status-error.htm has been updated to make
sure 2xx response codes behave similar to other failures. (Thanks to Pablo
Flouret.)

> The test suite seems very short for the spec... in particular, it doesn't
> seem to test the parsing of the event format very well.

Anything in particular you think needs testing?

> But it's hard to
> say for sure without seeing the source of the support files.

See above.

> Also, the
> tests seem to rely on a big external file, which is generally bad
> practice, but I'm not familiar enough with the test harness to be able to
> tell whether this is a real problem or not. Personally I prefer test
> harnesses that keep well out of the way, e.g. by using parent.test() to
> report results -- for example, see:
>
>    http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/parsing/encoding/001.html
>
> ...which works fine as a stand-alone test (and has no external
> dependencies) but can also work in a harness:
>
>    http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/parsing/encoding/all.html
>
> I probably shouldn't be whining about tests though given that I didn't
> write any for this spec. :-)

I do not really care about the format that much. For automated testing a
harness is useful and vendors seem to be somewhat willing to converge on
something that can be used for most of our tests.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/