Re: clipboard events spec and HTML5 spec - divide and conquer, but where?

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:

> I've done some work on a spec for clipboard events, initially just to
> make up my mind about what Opera needs to implement, but as it might be
> a useful thing in general I've volunteered to edit it as a WebApps WG
> delivery. It will be a fairly small spec, only handling clipboard
> events.

Is it intended to also cover cut, copy and paste? The current spec draft
seems very vague about when the events fire and what their default actions
are, but I can't tell if that's intentional or not.

> Now, this needs a bit of syncing with HTML5 because right now that spec
> defines a ClipboardEvent interface that contains some of the stuff in
> HTML5's DataTransfer interface. To avoid this overlap I guess there are
> two ways forward, either I remove those bits from the clipboard events
> spec and reference HTML5, or you remove them from HTML5 and say that
> DataTransfer extends ClipboardEvent. I'm happy either way (though if I'm
> going to reference DataTransfer I'll call out explicitly what methods
> are required for clipboard events and omit the DnD specific stuff).
> Which approach do you think would be better?

What do browsers do? Do they use the same object, including the
drag-and-drop specific attributes, or is it a different interface?

> Another issue I'd like a comment on is whether you have spec'ed or are
> close to spec'ing something that helps with the
> paste-text-with-binary-blobs-in use cases. I don't yet know how we
> should do that yet.

Editing as a whole is rather under-defined right now. I don't have plans
to work on it in the comming weeks.