Re: clipboard events spec and HTML5 spec - divide and conquer, but where?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 04:31:01 +0900, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:
>>
>> I've done some work on a spec for clipboard events, initially just to
>> make up my mind about what Opera needs to implement, but as it might be
>> a useful thing in general I've volunteered to edit it as a WebApps WG
>> delivery. It will be a fairly small spec, only handling clipboard
>> events.
>
> Is it intended to also cover cut, copy and paste?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

> The current spec draft
> seems very vague about when the events fire and what their default
> actions are, but I can't tell if that's intentional or not.

No vagueness is intended.

Could you give me two examples of things that needs to be more specific,
one regarding timing and one regarding default action?

>> Now, this needs a bit of syncing with HTML5 because right now that spec
>> defines a ClipboardEvent interface that contains some of the stuff in
>> HTML5's DataTransfer interface. To avoid this overlap I guess there are
>> two ways forward, either I remove those bits from the clipboard events
>> spec and reference HTML5, or you remove them from HTML5 and say that
>> DataTransfer extends ClipboardEvent. I'm happy either way (though if I'm
>> going to reference DataTransfer I'll call out explicitly what methods
>> are required for clipboard events and omit the DnD specific stuff).
>> Which approach do you think would be better?
>
> What do browsers do? Do they use the same object, including the
> drag-and-drop specific attributes, or is it a different interface?

In WebKit, event.clipboardData in copy/cut/paste events and
event.dataTransfer in drag/drop events both implement a "Clipboard"
interface, so the same attributes are available.

>> Another issue I'd like a comment on is whether you have spec'ed or are
>> close to spec'ing something that helps with the
>> paste-text-with-binary-blobs-in use cases. I don't yet know how we
>> should do that yet.
>
> Editing as a whole is rather under-defined right now. I don't have plans
> to work on it in the comming weeks.

OK, I'll look at use cases and what IE/WebKit/Gecko do.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/