Re: Call for Editors for Server-sent Events, Web Storage, and Web Workers

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Ian, the Technical Report work is what W3C does.

I'm not sure how to interpret this. Do you mean that's the work W3C staff
does? Or that's the work that the consortium is set up to foster? Neither
is presumably true: W3C staff aren't the ones who do the TR busywork,
since otherwise you wouldn't be asking for an editor to do it, and the
goal of the consortium is hopefully not to publish TR/ drafts, it's
presumably to get interoperability on the Web.

> You stated that you aren't interested in TR work [1], and that you are
> fine with having someone "take the draft and regularly publish a REC
> snapshot of it for patent policy purposes" [2]... and that's what an
> editor does.

If that's what you're looking for, my apologies. That was not how I
interpreted your e-mail. It's certainly not what the term "editor" means
in general, though. What you describe is more of a secretarial role.

> I'm not sure what other way to move forward.

It's not clear to me that your definition of "forward" makes sense. :-)

> I have been asked to move these specs along more rapidly, and I think
> that's a reasonable request.

Publishing on the TR/ page does nothing to move the specs in any
direction, let alone forward.

> Our expectation is that the specs will reach a stable state more quickly
> with an additional editor who can dedicate themselves more exclusively
> to the task.

Publishing on the TR/ page does nothing for stability. The most productive
work one could do to help the stability of these specs is writing test
suites for them.

Anyway, I'm fine if someone wants to do the secretarial work of publishing
the spec on the TR/ page -- if anyone wants to help with that I'm more
than happy to work with them to get that done on a regular basis. It's
very easy work.

More useful, however, would be someone to drive a test suite. I'd be very
happy to help someone with that too, but that's much more work.