Re: Call for Editors for Server-sent Events, Web Storage, and Web Workers

Hi, Ian-

Ian Hickson wrote (on 12/13/10 4:24 PM):
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Doug Schepers wrote:
>>
>>  This is an active call for editors for the Server-sent Events [1], Web
>>  Storage [2], and Web Workers [3] specifications.  If you are interested
>>  in becoming an editor, with all the rights and responsibilities that go
>>  along with that, please respond on this thread or email us directly at
>>  team-webapps@w3.org.
>
> That's kinda funny since those drafts already all have an active editor.

That's why I was explicit that we are looking for co-editors.  I hope
that you are willing to work with other editors.

>>  We appreciate and acknowledge the work the current editor, Ian Hickson,
>>  has put into these specs, but he seems to have indicated that he does
>>  not wish to be the one to drive them forward (which is understandable,
>>  given his other commitments, such as the HTML5 spec).
>
> I have done no such thing. I've only said I'm not interested in doing the
> TR/ work.

Ian, the Technical Report work is what W3C does.  You stated that you
aren't interested in TR work [1], and that you are fine with having
someone "take the draft and regularly publish a REC snapshot of it for
patent policy purposes" [2]... and that's what an editor does.  I'm not
sure what other way to move forward.  (And to be honest, the tone of
your emails does not inspire confidence in your willingness to work with
W3C's framework.)

I'm not playing political games, and I'm not trying to insult you... I
have been asked to move these specs along more rapidly, and I think
that's a reasonable request.  Our expectation is that the specs will
reach a stable state more quickly with an additional editor who can
dedicate themselves more exclusively to the task.

It may be that no-one is interested or has the time, or that a volunteer
doesn't have the right skills to manage the task, in which case we have
no conflict; if it happens that we do find someone to help out, then we
can discuss the distribution of work.

I'm not trying to shut you out of the process, and I respect any
feedback you have on the subject.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010OctDec/0865.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010OctDec/0866.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs