Re: requestAnimationFrame

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> > * Gregg Tavares (wrk) wrote:
> >>There is plenty of flash content that has a lower than 60hz (or fast as
> >>possible) refresh rate. When something is instead implementing in HTML5
> >>instead of Flash what should they do to get the similar results? Checking
> >>cnn.com, time.com, arstechnica.com, wired.com and msnbc.com I found that
> 7
> >>ads were set to run at 18hz, 3 were set to run at 24hz, 2 were set to run
> at
> >>30hz. I used SWF
> >>Info<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45361/>to check
> >>the fps setting. I have no idea why they don't choose "run as fast
> >>as possible." I could be laziness, it could be that it makes the pages
> too
> >>slow and unresponsive to set them to "as fast as possible", it could be
> that
> >>rendering 3 times more then necessary, 60hz vs 18hz would eat battery
> >>life, it could be an artistic choice, it could be just that flash makes
> you
> >>pick one vs defaulting to "fast as possible".
> >
> > The frame rate is a number in the swf header that cannot be set to a "as
> > fast as possible" value.

How does that info help resolve this? "fast as possible" effectively is that
same as "60hz" for all practical purposes and yet lots of people are not
setting their flash animations to 60hz.

> Ah, so that also means that different animations can't run with
> different frame rates?

Yes they can. One instance of flash is set to 18hz, another is set to 24hz,
both are on the same page. Or are we talking about something else?