Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
> Sorry for the delayed response.  I think the idea of BinaryHttpRequest is a
> reasonable one.  As you point out, it simply side-steps any potential
> performance and compatibility issues.  Are you imagining that the API is
> effectively the same as XMLHttpRequest, except without the text and XML
> part?
> How do other people feel about David's proposal?

I still don't see the problem with the responseType. There's very
little difference in both BinaryHttpRequest and responseType is opt-in
mechanisms.

The only difference is that .responseType allows a existing object
(which a library could be holding a reference to) could be "mutated"
since it now behaves differently. It seems to me that whenever this is
done in the "wrong" way code should consistently fail, and so should
be easy for developers to deal with.

/ Jonas