Re: XHR responseArrayBuffer attribute: suggestion to replace "asBlob" with "responseType"

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> Boris, do you see value in the asBlob / responseBlob proposal currently
>> in the draft?
>>

> The idea there being that you don't have to have the data in memory at all
> unless the page explicitly asks for it, and then giving the page the option
> of only mapping some of the data into memory?

...where "some" may mean none.  you could just get an URL to the Blob, and
shove that into some HTML element for display, or you could use the
FileWriter or FileSaver interfaces to copy the Blob someplace.

> I think that's a good idea, yes.
>
> What I'm not quite sure about is why it needs to be a state flag which
> makes it an open-time all-or-nothing decision, other than implementor
> convenience....

I think it's about performance as well as implementor convenience.  If the
implementor knows up front that the data should be stored as a Blob, then
the implementor can write the data to disk without having to waste memory.

-Darin