Re: [progress-events] default action suggestion

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I wasn't sure whether to explicitly mark non-normative sections. In part
> because at least one section is normative but does not use RFC 2119
> keywords (section 3.1) as it being normative comes only in to play when
> referenced with an accompanying conformance requirement. So I was not
> sure whether that would make sense. If more people feel strongly about
> this I could explicitly mark section 1, 2.3, 3.2, 3.3, 4, and appendix
> Acknowledgments non-normative.

FWIW: The purpose of marking a section as non-normative is two-fold: it
allows spec lawyers to quickly skip the section when trying to find the
normative answer to a question, and it allows spec reviewers to notice
when a requirement has been accidentally added to a place where the editor
did not intend to have requirements.

So for example, in the HTML spec I haven't marked the acks section as
non-normative because it's obviously non-normative, and adding it doesn't
add anything (no spec lawyer is going to look there anyway, and reviewers
will complain if I put a requirement there regardless). But the index
sections look suspiciously like they have requirements or definitions in
them, so I mark those explicitly non-normative to help readers out and
help reviewers warn me if I make a mistake.

HTH,