Re: [progress-events] default action suggestion

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:17:04 +0200, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
wrote:
> The latest ED of the Progress Events spec says:
>
> [[
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/progress/#suggested-progressevent-types
>
> Throughout the web platform the |error|, |abort|, and |load| event types
> have traditionally not had a default action and did not bubble so it is
> suggested that for consistency all event types using the |ProgressEvent|
> interface do not bubble and are not cancelable.
> ]]
>
> The rationale for that recommendation seems reasonable so I'm wondering
> if, for interop reasons, this text should be prescriptive, as implied in
> the following; or if this text should be marked as non-normative:
>
> [[
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010OctDec/0026.html
>
> * Event types are now suggestions rather than normative. Specifications
> will have to make the final call.
> ]]

I wasn't sure whether to explicitly mark non-normative sections. In part
because at least one section is normative but does not use RFC 2119
keywords (section 3.1) as it being normative comes only in to play when
referenced with an accompanying conformance requirement. So I was not sure
whether that would make sense. If more people feel strongly about this I
could explicitly mark section 1, 2.3, 3.2, 3.3, 4, and appendix
Acknowledgments non-normative.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/