Re: How to reach AC Newbies and why is there such a Large "Silent Majority"? [Was: Re: Don't disclose election results]

On 6/4/2014 9:06 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 04/06/2014 14:57 , Arthur Barstow wrote:
>> On 6/4/14 8:03 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>> Maybe we should do some AC training. When I ran for TAG I was
>>> surprised at how many reps wrote to say "I'd like to vote for you but
>>> I don't understand how".
>>
>> Oh dear. That's really {s,b}ad. The closest thing I know about related
>> to AC Newbies is <https://www.w3.org/wiki/AdvisoryCommittee/NewbieInfo>.
>> If there is some additional info that should be added, please do update
>> that doc or send me the details and I'll be happy to update it. That
>> said, perhaps there are better ways/medium to reach Newbies (f.ex. a
>> 5-10 minute video that address the issue you raise as well as other AC
>> Newbie FAQs). (I just filed a related issue in the AC tracker
>> <https://www.w3.org/Member/track/issues/7>).
>
> I'd add to the wiki but I couldn't get a sense for what wasn't working
> for them — I sent some instructions in the hope that something would
> happen.
>
> Voting is basically clicking on a link in an email that comes to you,
> then ticking someone's name and hitting Submit.
>
> I guess there could be several reasons (possibly mixed):
>
>   • Email never got read, is lost somewhere in Inbox/Trash.
>   • Rep does not know about http://w3.org/Member/, etc.
>   • Lost password
>   • Confused by WBS UI (I think it's pretty readable, but it's old
> school so might confuse some?)
>   • Laziness (could figure out how to do but would rather be told)

I would add a few others:

* AC rep does not know any of the candidates well.
* AC rep is from a small company that participates in W3C for one
focused reason and does not care much about the broader topics usually
discussed at the AB.