Re: How to reach AC Newbies and why is there such a Large "Silent Majority"? [Was: Re: Don't disclose election results]

On 04/06/2014 14:57 , Arthur Barstow wrote:
> On 6/4/14 8:03 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Maybe we should do some AC training. When I ran for TAG I was
>> surprised at how many reps wrote to say "I'd like to vote for you but
>> I don't understand how".
>
> Oh dear. That's really {s,b}ad. The closest thing I know about related
> to AC Newbies is <https://www.w3.org/wiki/AdvisoryCommittee/NewbieInfo>.
> If there is some additional info that should be added, please do update
> that doc or send me the details and I'll be happy to update it. That
> said, perhaps there are better ways/medium to reach Newbies (f.ex. a
> 5-10 minute video that address the issue you raise as well as other AC
> Newbie FAQs). (I just filed a related issue in the AC tracker
> <https://www.w3.org/Member/track/issues/7>).

I'd add to the wiki but I couldn't get a sense for what wasn't working
for them — I sent some instructions in the hope that something would happen.

Voting is basically clicking on a link in an email that comes to you,
then ticking someone's name and hitting Submit.

I guess there could be several reasons (possibly mixed):

   • Email never got read, is lost somewhere in Inbox/Trash.
   • Rep does not know about http://w3.org/Member/, etc.
   • Lost password
   • Confused by WBS UI (I think it's pretty readable, but it's old
school so might confuse some?)
   • Laziness (could figure out how to do but would rather be told)

That's why I think it would be useful to reach out to non-voters
(perhaps also to non-posters?) to get a feel for what the barriers are.

I'm willing to bet that in many cases the fact that one would need to
get approval, but it's not seen as important enough to call a meeting,
is a barrier. I'm not sure what we could do to help here. Make
membership more expensive for non-voters? ;-)