Proposal for "Community Meetup" experiment -- was RE: Summary and minutes of 4-5 March 2014 Advisory Board face-to-face meeting

> I support bringing the Process Document up to date. I would not support a Process Document that overly

> constrains the Team and community from finding productive ways to interact.

We're struggling with a widespread perception that W3C is too "old school" to be a good venue for timely and focused work on hot topics even though there is little in the process document that actually forbids doing what people are saying they want to do.   I was reasonably satisfied with the outcome of the AB discussion because someone pointed out that 5 people could get together, create a community group, and hold a CG meeting that could get key people together under the W3C umbrella to discuss some hot topic, without the (perceived) constraints of organizing a Workshop.   But that's a bit of a hack ...

This reminds me a bit of the discussion that led to Community Groups a few years ago:  Maybe we can experiment with a similar "W3C Community Meetup" mechanism that would make it easy to propose a meeting topic/venue and if enough people endorse the idea, W3C-hosted tools could support registration, announcements, discussion documentation, etc.  Just as CGs supplement but don't replace the WG process, W3C Community Meetups could provide a lightweight complement for formal workshops that would offer a different value proposition.

What value would Community Meetups offer?

*         Organizers:  It would let people propose a topic, assess the degree of interest, and provide a free registration tool.  There would be very minimal team involvement to ensure that the topic is in scope for W3C, there is sufficient notice, etc.

*         Potential attendees: W3C would provide a credible hub for announcements that people could browse on demand or subscribe to, with some assurance that the agenda is technical / community building and not mostly marketing.

*         W3C : Meetups that don't quite meet the criteria for Workshops are held under the W3C umbrella, reinforcing W3C's "brand" as the trusted venue for conversations about how to improve the Web, from Meetups about challenges and opportunities, Community Groups for spec incubation, and Working Groups for standardization.

Some questions:

- If Community Meetups had existed, would  organizers of things like the Extensible Web Summit or the Next Game Frontier have considered using that mechanism?  If not, what features are missing from the sketch above?

- Do existing services such as Lanyrd and Eventbrite do the job and W3C wouldn't add much value?

- Could the W3C infrastructure supporting Workshops be economically repurposed / exposed over the Web in a manner similar to how www.w3.org/community ?

- How much effort should the W3C staff expend on vetting proposals / establishing criteria for appropriate Community Meetups?

- Bottom line, is this idea worth the team / AB / W3Process CG investigating more deeply?