Re: Spec organizations and prioritization

On 3/20/2012 11:53 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le mardi 20 mars 2012 à 11:41 -0400, Jeff Jaffe a écrit :
>> As a strawman, I would propose that to achieve your goal we need zero
>> changes to the W3C process.  Rather we need changes to a practices and
>> culture, through a single characteristic - modularization.
>>
>> I may be misinformed, but my impression is that what you are requesting
>> is precisely what we are trying to achieve with CSS 3.
> It is close, but not precisely; CSS3 is better in that it defines
> smaller modules, but we still struggle with slow standardization (e.g.
> the prefix war). The reason is that these modules aren't built around
> implementations schedule (or intents to implement), but about what the
> WG think makes a logical consistent set. I believe a number of CSS3
> modules could go to CR today if they were trimmed of features nobody has
> started to implement.

My (rose colored) interpretation of what you are saying is that CSS 3
has the right paradigm, but they are choosing to implement it
imperfectly.  That is a culture and practice appraisal which should be
fixed within this right paradigm.

I would not prefer to create a different paradigm which could be equally
applied imperfectly.