Re: Some interesting things that show up when using a reasoner to classify schema.org

Dear Dick:

On 26 Jan 2015, at 15:21, Richard H. McCullough <rhmccullough@att.net> wrote:

> Martin
> I enthusiastically agree that users should be able to use these vocabularies without a deep understanding.
> As a very interested and  naïve user, the size of the vocabulary worries me.  I find it difficult to orient myself
> and choose the right level and the right terms which are appropriate for my application.
>
> Dick McCullough
> Context Knowledge Systems
> What is your view?

I think we have only two means for keeping schema.org useable for a large audience:

1. Modularization, i.e. at least make a clear separation between
a) the meta-model and architecture of the vocabulary and
b) the domain-specific parts

but maybe even further,

and

2. Strive for a self-contained, frame-based organisation, i.e. reducing the relevance of the type hierarchy, eventually up to a point where we (publicly) just have a flat bag of types and associated properties.

That does not mean we abandon the hierarchy internally; it will remain useful for managing the vocabulary.

Currently, users and people who want to propose extensions must understand the official and inofficial parts of the meta-model and memorize the type hierarchy.

See Figure 4 in this paper:

    Possible Ontologies: How Reality Constrains the Development of Relevant Ontologies, in: IEEE Internet Computing, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 90-96, January-February 2007

A PDF is at http://www.heppnetz.de/files/IEEE-IC-PossibleOntologies-published.pdf

Best wishes
Martin