Re: Marking up quotes that relate to known Freebase topics/people

On 15 January 2014 12:09, Quotations Book <quotationsbook@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your help, Shawn and Martin.
>
> Each quote instance in these curated listings has now been marked up:
>
> http://quotationsbook.com/quotes/tag/adversity/
> http://quotationsbook.com/quotes/author/2294/
>
> Further - the permalink of each individual quote has also been marked up,
> and serves as the sort of “canonical” URL:
>
> http://quotationsbook.com/quote/1013/
>
> Everything but the sameAs link to Freebase has been added (we are still
> working on this by hand, a few weeks on!!)
>
> Please let me know if this looks complete or if you have any further
> comments. Google Webmaster Central seems to recognise the structured data
> objects at least. I am not sure about the timeline on this, perhaps you can
> fill me in. What is the time between:
>
> The Quotation proposal going to a published specification on schema.org?
> Search engine parsers understanding the markup?
> After this - actually implementing marked-up results visually in search
> results as rich snippets, or simply - as "answers"?

There is no fixed schedule or guarantees. Schema.org and specific
search products are quite de-coupled from schema.org.

Since schema.org is encoded in Microdata, RDFa and JSON-LD, there are
various tools that are rather generic which will automatically (in
some sense) understand your markup. So you see this for example with
Google Webmaster Central which recognises the entity-property->value
graph. Google Custom Search is also somewhat generic in this way, i.e.
configurable - https://developers.google.com/custom-search/docs/snippets
- without waiting for some product team to do the work.

Dan