Re: Inverse properties, was: Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2014, at 10:16 AM, martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org wrote:
>
> > Hi Gregg,
> > Thanks for your very interesting proposal! As far as I understand,
> however, this would mean that we will have to define new names for the
> inverse variant of each property - not in the vocabulary, but in the
> schema.org context specification. If that is correct, I think this is
> only a second-best solution if we could not achieve an update of the
> Microdata specification. This for the following reasons:
> >
> > 1. For using the reverse form of a property in Microdata, one would have
> to use the special name for the inverse variant, while in JSON-LD, RDFa,
> and Turtle, we would use the same name for both directions.
>
> Well, in this regard, Microdata is much like Turtle. You could always
> create another item with the same @itemid to put it in the subject
> position. It's not as useful as the RDFa @rev property, but this needs to
> be weighed against the cost of updating the syntax. (We debated adding a
> reverse operator to Turtle in the last update, but it was rejected by the
> WG. The thought was a separate group might come together to create a "super
> Turtle/TriG", which could address many other useful markup cases).
>
> I'm not totally opposed to defining a Microdata extension for this, I'm
> just looking for a more minimal way to achieve the desired effect. Adding
> more attributes will make it more confusing for developers, whereas using
> guidance from the schema.org documentation on how to reverse the property
> direction using an alias may be simpler for developers to understand. IMO,
> most serious HTML markup is done using RDFa, anyway, so we're really just
> trying to incrementally make Microdata more useful.

This was my initial reaction too. Microdata was designed to be a simpler
alternative to RDFa, but we're talking about making it closer to RDFa and
in doing so, we're defeating its purpose of being simple. There is also the
argument that this kind of reverse property feature (like additionalType)
are available in other formats. We keep bending microdata/schema.org to
support features it was originally designed for, features which are
available in JSON-LD and RDFa.

> While JSON-LD supports the use of @reverse in node definitions, this is
> really to have an unambiguous way to expand the data; reasonable use would
> create a term definition using @reverse, so having this worked out by
> schema.org in advance would be a good thing. Of course, JSON-LD allows a
> term to be defined within the scope of the document, which Microdata does
> not.
>
> > 2. Some properties in schema.org have names that do not clearly
> indicate the default direction (e.g. creator means hasCreator, but could
> also be read as isCreatorOf) or that cannot be simply modified by is* or
> has* prefixes (like  http://schema.org/mentions) in an algorithmic way.
> This would mean we have to manually create and maintain the names for the
> inverse variants, which is what I wanted to avoid at any cost.
>
> I think the range and domain of creator make this clear to anyone who
> looks at the property definitions. Maybe it's a difference between English
> and German, but to to me, "creator" identifies the creator of a thing, and
> would not make as much sense as the property of a Person; "created" would
> work, but "isCreatorOf" makes it clearer for everyone. Of course, there are
> more ambiguous property names.

We should also consider a prefix-based convention like
itemprop="rev-author" or itemprop="rev-alumni". It eliminates the need to
maintain a custom list of reverse properties and make the processing
trivial since properties are CamelCase, and it's easy to strip the prefix
and reverse the relation.

Steph.

--
Steph.