Re: Inverse properties, was: Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

Hi Stéphane:

On 14 Apr 2014, at 20:05, Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com> wrote:

> This was my initial reaction too. Microdata was designed to be a simpler alternative to RDFa, but we're talking about making it closer to RDFa and in doing so, we're defeating its purpose of being simple. There is also the argument that this kind of reverse property feature (like additionalType) are available in other formats. We keep bending microdata/schema.org to support features it was originally designed for, features which are available in JSON-LD and RDFa.

I think the main difference between Microdata and RDFa is that the underlying philosphy of Microdata is to add meta-data to an HTML DOM while the philosophy of RDFa was to find a way to weave in an RDF graph into an HTML document. But that is just a very personal view.

And I would argue that adding a mechanism for reverse properties makes Microdata simpler for several cases and not more complicated.

> We should also consider a prefix-based convention like itemprop="rev-author" or itemprop="rev-alumni". It eliminates the need to maintain a custom list of reverse properties and make the processing trivial since properties are CamelCase, and it's easy to strip the prefix and reverse the relation.

I am not sure whether you mean that that should be done

1. at the level of schema.org,
2. as a social convention or for all Microdata vocabularies, or
3. in the Microdata spec.

If it is #3, I described that option in
    https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/InverseProperties#A_prefix_mechanism

But I think this is not a very beautiful approach, since we are overloading the property string with something else.

Also, at least in theorey we would then have to update the Microdata spec, too, and exclude property names that start with "rev-".

Of course, we could solve the issue solely at the level of schema.org (#1) and mechanically define reverse properties for all properties using your mechanism. But then we have the confusion of additionalProperty at the level of 100+ properties - that there are inverse properties that are just needed in Microdata. And you expand the size of the vocabulary, which is what I wanted to prevent with my initial post.

Martin