VisualArtwork (was: schema.org property proposal: workPerformed)

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 08:09:01PM +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:

<snip> to focus on VisualArtwork specifically

>http://sdo-culture-bundle.appspot.com/VisualArtwork
>
>This doesn't have examples yet, and there are some overlaps with
>existing property usage that need addressing, but it should soon give
>us a unified view of cultural heritage-related improvements.

Per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Jan/0000.html

* "materials" attribute should be "material"; embrace the singular(ity)!
* "artEdition" attribute is not there; maybe a few words about the
   intention there (e.g. if the thought is that it's too specific and
   "description" might suffice, or perhaps Product/productID if one
   wants specificity?)

When an example is added, it should demonstrate both how to describe a
VisualArtwork entity and how to use the "encoding" property to lead to
an "ImageObject" which offers a version of the artwork.

I find the "artform" property problematic, as it seems to conflict with
more specific types such as "Sculpture"; I would have anticipated
VisualArtwork to be the base class for Sculpture (along with the
examples that Niklas mentioned), and guidance to use multi-types to
express more specific kinds of artwork where no more specific types
exist in schema.org (for example,
http://www.productontology.org/id/Assemblage_%28art%29 and
http://www.productontology.org/id/Collage ?)

I'd really like it if the "image" property had a range of VisualArtwork
so that the cover art for books / comics / etc and the photos in
articles could get a proper description & credits, rather than just a
URL per "image" or "thumbnailURL". I posted more extensive thoughts
about relatively simple changes that would enable richer descriptions
of cover art and thumbnails at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemabibex/2013Nov/0091.html

Thanks,
Dan