Re: Proposal: Audiobook

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Martin Hepp <
martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> Now, we can take at least two approaches for handling this:
>
> 1. We can use multiple supertypes, i.e. materialize a multiple inheritance
> relation (e.g. make AudioBook a subtype of both CreativeWorks and Product)
> 2. We can encourage the use of multiple types at markup time.
>
> I strongly recommend option #2, because
>
> - it waives the need to define relevant combinations ex ante,
> - it avoids the irritating listing of properties that are not relevant for
> most use cases, and
> - it decouples the evolution of type combinations from the evolution of
> the schema.org specification.

Decoupling the evolution of type combinations from the evolution of the
specification is an important point. If we have to serve all of the uses of
AudioBook (or any other type) in its specification, we are going to end up
with a tangle of multiple inheritance and/or duplicate properties which
authors will not understand how to use.

- Vicki

Vicki Tardif Holland | Ontologist | vtardif@google.com