Re: Proposal: Audiobook

On 9/19/13 12:05 PM, Aaron Bradley wrote:

> An "isBasedOn" certainly falls in the former category for a new type
> "AudioBook" since - as per Richard's example - that data (the book being
> read) is ubiquitously present in audio book records.  I think there are
> other extant use cases for this too.  For example, in IMDb you'll find a
> heading "Original Literary Source" under which one or more literary
> works upon which a film is based is listed, and it's anything but
> uncommon for a classical music recording to list details about the piece
> performed (a Von Karagan performance /or/ recording of Beethoven's 9th
> Symphony isn't Beethoven Opus 125, but a creative work derived from it).

Yes, but "isBasedOn" was proposed to be a URL representing the print
work. The data about the book being read is represented in the
audiobooks metadata as the author and title of the book, the same way it
is in the record for the print book. Creating an actual link (i.e. via
identifiers) for the relationship is what we do not have today in most
metadata. So the bibliographic details exist, but as the bibliographic
details for the audiobook, or, as you illustrate, the bibliographic
details for the symphony. It's descriptive data, not a link between
separate bibliographic descriptions. Given that a book like Moby Dick
has been re-published hundreds of times, even if you have a URL for some
of those editions (but not necessarily the original one, whose exact
identity is not always known) means you have to decide which of those
editions to link to. We need to think this through a bit in terms of
realistic work-flow.

That said, we (schema BibEx) are contemplating links between
CreativeWorks for those instances where there are identifiers that can
be used for that purpose. I think it would be preferable that such
linking properties be as general as possible, and one possibility is to
allow any number of CreativeWorks to state a "same Work" relationship
between them. So all of those editions of Moby Dick can state that they
represent the same work (with links between them) or they can all state
that they represent the same work described in
http://en.wikipedia.org/Moby_Dick. If there is a "Work" record
(approximating the FRBR sense of Work) then you can declare any edition
to the be same work as that record's URL. (Freebase, Open Library,
LibraryThing, and apparently soon WorldCat, have identifiers for Work,
although their definitions of Work vary among them.) The variety of
possible relationships is enormous, and so I think that beginning with a
KISS approach while we see how this pans out would be wisest.

kc

--
Karen Coyle