Re: Proposal: VisualArtwork

Dan,

(I know this is a repeat for you but I forgot to reply to all with the
previous email)

The example that you put together is really interesting.  I just wrapped up
work on my masters thesis that more or less dealt with this exact problem.
In my study, I developed a new proposed data model for VRA 4 that
incorporated Schema.org as much as possible.  Like you, I had trouble when
it came to certain aspects, such as saying something is a Sculpture.
 More problematic was mapping over existing XML measurement attributes such
as depth, area etc. (this was also a problem in other areas of the VRA data
model).  To overcome the problem, I had to create custom "vra-p"
classes/properties but I positioned them as sub-classes or
sub-properties of existing schema elements.  For example I created a custom
vra-p:area object property that has a given range of
schema:quantitativeValue.  My thinking was that search engines might not
care about my custom VRA element but they would care that it connects a
schema:CreativeWork with a schema:quantitativeValue.

Obviously my way of overcoming the issue is not ideal, but I think it
serves as a nice stop-gap.  I do whole heartily agree with your suggestions
though and as Jeff Young and others have commented
the combination of schema and productontology will help resolve many of
these issues.  If you are interested in seeing some other examples of how I
worked around mapping the relatively complex VRA Core 4 model to
schema.org feel
free to check out my website for the project.  The thesis as well as the
tools used/developed during the study can be accessed and downloaded. I
would welcome any comments or suggestions.

http:purl.org/jmixter/thesis/ <http://purl.org/jmixter/thesis/>

Thanks,

Jeff Mixter
440-773-9079