RE: Proposal: VisualArtwork

I've been using the Product Ontology for these kinds of things as an
additional type to schema:CreativeWork.

http://productontology.org/id/Sculpture
http://productontology.org/id/Photograph
http://productontology.org/id/Collage
etc.

This is based on Wikipedia, so there are some cases that don't work out
ideally like "Photographic_printing" instead of "Photographic_print".
Nevertheless, I am pleased much more often than I am disappointed. It
would also be nice to hear the general Schema.org community encouraging
the use of the Product Ontology more vocally.

I agree that having a general purpose VisualArtwork class with these
extra properties would be nice, though.

Jeff

VisualArtwork

> I am aware that there are already sub-Types for "Painting",
> "Sculpture", and "Photograph", but this doesn't seem like a viable way
> forward. There are many other types of artwork (printmaking, drawing,
> collage, assemblage, digital art, etc.) and it seems illogical to
> create new Types for each artform.
>
> So my proposal is for the 'VisualArtwork' Type to be used instead of
> "Painting" or "Sculpture", and instead of "Photograph" where the
> photograph in question is being presented in context as an artwork as
> opposed to forensic photography, etc.
>
> A number of additional properties enable would allow a wider range of
> visual artwork media to use this type. These properties are:
>
> * artform (e.g. Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Print, Photograph,
> Assemblage, Collage, etc.)
> * materials (e.g. Oil, Watercolour, Linoprint, Marble, Cyanotype,
> Digital, Lithograph, Pencil, Mixed Media, etc.)
> * surface (e.g. Canvas, Paper, Wood, Board, etc.)
> * width (an instance of http://schema.org/Distance)
> * height (an instance of http://schema.org/Distance)
> * depth (an instance of http://schema.org/Distance)
> * edition (For multiples such as prints, the number of copies in the
> edition)
>
> As you can see, rather than having many different subTytpes of
Creative