Re: Proposal: VisualArtwork

Hi Dan,

 > (2.) It would be good to find wording (and/or hierarchical) that
 > acknowledges that some visual arts can be tactile too; e.g. that blind
 > people can appreciate http://schema.org/Sculpture ... hence the
 > 'primarily' here. Suggestions anyone? Would we say Sculpture is a
 > sub-type of VisualArtwork ?

That's a very good point. Certainly sculpture (and some other artforms
that have tactile elements) can be appreciated by people regardless of
visual impairment.

Rather than taking Sculpture out of VisualArtwork, would there be any
way to incorporate the "accessMode" property from the proposed
Accessibility schema type (http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Accessibility)?

E.g. within HTML for a sculpture marked up as VisualArtwork the
following properties could be added:

With regards to your point (3):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_Requirements_for_Bibliographic_Records
 > ?)

An edition when related to fine art printmaking (and other fine arts) is
different to an edition of a journal, comic etc.

For fine art prints only a limited number of prints are taken from any
plate (or woodblock, silkscreen screen, etc). After this the plate is
usually destroyed or deliberately damaged to prevent any further prints
being taken. The same can also apply to photographs, with a number of
prints being produced before the negative is destroyed or deliberately
damaged by the photographer.

So if 20 prints were produced from a plate before its destruction then
you would talk about an edition of 20. (More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edition).

I couldn't find any good cross reference in FRBR, but the Getty
Categories for the Description of Works of Art (CDWA) uses the term
"Edition size" - see
http://www.getty.edu/research/publications/electronic_publications/cdwa/6edition.html#RTFToC4

To avoid confusion with the edition of a book, journal, etc we could
change the property name for the VisualArtwork type to editionSize to
match the CDWA term?

Regards,

Paul

--