Re: First pass at use cases for "new standards" task force

Le lundi 21 juin 2010 à 12:57 -0500, Ian Jacobs a écrit :
> I've written down seven use cases [1]:
>
>  • [Core] Develop a new Web standard

Do we really need to spend any effort on that one? It looks like we
already have a process for dealing with this; also, the overlap with the
“Core” task force would be important.

> • [Sunset] Revise a W3C Recommendation without a Working Group

That also seems to be more of a “Core” Task force, than “*new*
standards”.

>  • [Ontology] Develop an industry-specific ontology
>  • [Competition] Develop a competing specification
>  • [Experiment] Experiment (new format or extension)
>  • [Profile] Create a profile of one or more specifications

That’s the four use cases I would focus on in priority; we have clear
examples of where they would have been useful, and I can see benefits
both for W3C and the community at large to have W3C be a place where
that kind of work could happen.

>  • [ByPass] Reset expectations between W3C Recommendation and de
> facto standard

I'm not thrilled by that one, but it might be a useful thing to include
in our discussions; that said, I wouldn't assume that this would be done
necessarily under the “W3C Recommendation” name (which would dilute its
— relative — standing).

Dom