Re: ISSUE 208 (Unknowing Collection of Data)

On 25/04/2014 23:53, Justin Brookman wrote:
> On the call last week, there did not appear to be any interest in
> revising the existing Editors' Draft Text on this issue:
>
>     8. Unknowing Collection
>
>     If a party learns that it possesses data in violation of this
>     recommendation, it must, where reasonably feasible, delete or
>     de-identify that data at the earliest practical opportunity, even
>     if it was previously unaware of such information practices despite
>     reasonable efforts to understand its information practices.
>
> Jonathan Mayer had previously proposed language that was (arguably)
> more restrictive; however, no one spoke up to support that proposal
> (available
> here: http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Change_Proposal_Unknowing).
>
> If no one wants to argue for this or a different change proposal, we
> will close this issue out in two weeks' time.
To be honest, I don't see any reason for the 'reasonably feasible'
qualifier. So I'm in favour of Jonathan's proposal or nothing at all,
since it is a no-brainer that if a party accidentally collects data, it
should destroy it as soon as possible.

Regards,

 Walter