Re: Consolidated Proposal for Definition of Collect

Hi Brooks,

“Share” was one of the terms the co-chairs suggested porting over to the TPE.  They suggested porting over collect/use/share/retain (all part of Issue 16).

-Vinay

From: <Dobbs>, Brooks <Brooks.Dobbs@kbmg.com<mailto:Brooks.Dobbs@kbmg.com>>
Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM
To: Vinay Goel <vigoel@adobe.com<mailto:vigoel@adobe.com>>, "public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org> (public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>)" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com<mailto:singer@apple.com>>, Lee Tien <tien@eff.org<mailto:tien@eff.org>>
Subject: Re: Consolidated Proposal for Definition of Collect

Vinay,

I think this definition depends on what it is to "share".  My concern with "share" is that I think there are divergent opinions on its meaning which range from:

 1.  Taking possession of a thing oneself and then passing/copying it on to another, to
 2.  Facilitating another to take possession of a thing without ever possessing the thing yourself

It would seem illogical to me to have a definition of collect that would mean I have collected a thing if I merely facilitated another to collect it but did not get it myself (and for that matter may not know that the other party received it).  True, you may wish that I had not facilitated the other to receive it, but the term just seems unfair if I never received it or had knowledge of the other parties specific receipt .   I am thinking specifically of a website having been deemed to have collected cross site pii merely because it embedded e.g. a social media icon which allowed another party to come into possession of such information.

Should we add "share" to the list of definitions in the TPE?

-Brooks
--

Brooks Dobbs, CIPP | Chief Privacy Officer |KBM Group | Part of the Wunderman Network
(Tel) 678 580 2683 | (Mob) 678 492 1662 | kbmg.com

[cid:B00FDBB2-18C5-4C1C-9AC9-34681D329AF7]

This email – including attachments – may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
 do not copy, distribute or act on it. Instead, notify the sender immediately and delete the message.