RE: ISSUE-5: Consensus definition of "tracking" for the intro?

Roy,

The examples you give do not constrain tracking consent to the cross-domain
situation. Sure, when you visit a site they may track you, but they don't
have to. If you log in you are giving consent to be identified on subsequent
visits (authenticated by a persistent unique id) but you have given consent.
This is recognised by the ePrivacy directive as storage "strictly necessary
to fulfil a service specifically requested by the user", and in our standard
by the UGE API or letting OOBC override DNT. If you visit your bank with DNT
set they could say (and they have to anyway in Europe) "when you click the
login button you are giving consent to us storing data in your browser so we
can recognise your browser in future visits. This data will be deleted after
X days if you do not visit us again within that period.". There is no
requirement for more clicks from the user, just that they be given a simple
explanation of what is going on. If you casually browse a site without
specifically identifying yourself by logging in or registering then in my
opinion you should be informed before you are tracked.

Your point about CCTV is addressed by the permitted uses and purpose
limitation.

The reason this is an issue is the early decision by this group to limit
itself to cross-domain tracking, and as I have said this caused more
difficulties than it solved (not least the loss of a level playing field).
If we can quickly get to a meaningful consensus around the context
qualification then I don't wish to rock the boat but we should not reduce
the clarity of the compliance spec by overloading it on to the definition of
tracking.

Mike