From: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com<mailto:michael.oneill@baycloud.com>>
Date: Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:17 PM
To: 'John Simpson' <john@consumerwatchdog.org<mailto:john@consumerwatchdog.org>>, "'Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation)'" <mts-std@schunter.org<mailto:mts-std@schunter.org>>
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>, "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@gbiv.com<mailto:fielding@gbiv.com>>, 'David Singer' <singer@apple.com<mailto:singer@apple.com>>
Subject: RE: ISSUE-5: Consensus definition of "tracking" for the intro?

Hi Roy, Matthias

How about we use option 4 (or a combination of options 3 & 4 with Rob’s non-normative text) for a definition of tracking and then add a derivative definition of cross-domain tracking that contains the context qualification.

As in:

Cross-domain Tracking is a type of tracking in which data is collected or retained by a party without the user being aware, i.e. by a party other than the one in control of the web page the user has explicitly linked to or visited.

Non-Normative Text
This standard is intended to give a user the capability to limit cross-domain tracking. In some jurisdictions the DNT signal could also be taken to communicate explicit consent to wider data collection but the standard does not address that.

The last bit is my attempt at non-normative sugar which might help make the signal more useful in the EU.

Mike