Re: Editorial Change - ISSUE-25 Proposed Text

From: David Wainberg <dwainberg@appnexus.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 20:43:12 -0400
To: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
CC: Rob Sherman <robsherman@fb.com>, "(public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi John,

The point is that it's confusing to talk about parties, since a party
can be either 1st or 3rd depending on context. If Company.com has
content on Website.com, it's a third party in that context. If a user
visits Website.com and then later visits Company.com directly,
Company.com is then a first party. But what about the data Company.com
collected on Website.com when Company.com was a third party?

The point is that the rules attach based on the context of collection
and use, not on the ephemeral nature of a party. Therefore, that's how
we should describe the rules, else we risk not saying what we mean, and
we risk confusing implementers and users.

Does that make sense?

-David