From: David Wainberg [mailto:dwainberg@appnexus.com]
Sent: 03 October 2013 20:16
To: Mike O'Neill
Cc: 'Walter van Holst'; public-tracking@w3.org; Rob Sherman
Subject: Re: tracking-ISSUE-219 (Context separation): 3rd parties that are 1st parties must not use data across these contexts [Compliance Current]

Mike,

On 2013-10-03 7:20 AM, Mike O'Neill wrote:
> If a user sees personalisation when they have explicitly requested not to be tracked they will assume their wishes are being ignored, and this will damage the credibility of Do Not Track.
I disagree. I realize it will be a challenge to get right, but since users will be educated about what DNT does or does not do before they make the choice to turn it on, they'll understand that any post-DNT:1 personalization they're seeing is being done in accordance with the DNT rules, and so with limited data retention. In fact, users could come to understand it as a great benefit: they get the personalization, but without their browsing history being accumulated and retained.

Best,

-David