tracking-ISSUE-217: Terminology for user action, interaction, and network interaction [Compliance Current]

From: Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 08:30:46 +0000
To: public-tracking@w3.org
tracking-ISSUE-217: Terminology for user action, interaction, and network interaction [Compliance Current]

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/217

Raised by: Roy Fielding
On product: Compliance Current

The compliance specification defines the term "network interaction" in a vague way that might be interpreted as either a single HTTP request or the entire set of requests that result from a user action.  The term is then used throughout the spec, most of which assume it is a single request.

Both specs use the term "user interaction", mostly to talk about actions taken by the user to manipulate something in the content of a page.

In some of the proposals, I have taken to using the term "user action" to refer to the intentional interaction (between user and browser) that initiated a set of network interactions (between browser and various sites).

I think we should be consistent in definition and use of these terms.