Re: Change proposal: new general principle for permitted uses

Mike,

On Tuesday 23 July 2013 08:10:46 Mike O'Neill wrote:
> If user profiles are not used or built then why the necessity for
> singling-out? Why have we not been given a definitive reason for
> collecting/using UIDs?

As far as I have understood, one needs to know the single user/device to
be able to count on objects. If one doesn't know whether it is the same
user or device, counting doesn't really work as it may e.g. be a bot.

The second reason is that the audience measurers could make all of this
up and just assert the result. So instead of having a burdensome inquiry
with measures and beacons and things, one would just make things up. If
the client has suspicions, they would say: No, we deleted all for
privacy.

Given that outreach determines ad-pricing, there needs to be a safeguard
against manipulation. This safeguard is done with reproducible data sets
so that one can prove the correctness of the results to the client.

I think, on the long run, we can do better than we do now and without
UIDs, but I personally believe this would overstretch the industry if
written positivistically into a specification. The bar for implementing
the TCS would become too high. But this is surely something we could
imagine for an incremental improvement (version 1.1) for the
Specification.

 --Rigo