Re: DNT: Agenda for Wednesday call, February 20

On Feb 19, 2013, at 11:54 , Peter Swire <peter@peterswire.net> wrote:

> David:
>
> 1. "Market research" has been proposed as a permitted use, to go into the text of the spec.  It is an important topic in practice for a range of companies.  The DAA code, which overlaps in its coverage with DNT issues, has an exception/permitted use for "market research."  To get adoption of DNT, getting clarity on "market research" seems entirely relevant.
>
> 2. In talking with people since I sent the agenda, I believe "truncation of URIs" may be a better term for the group than LBH.  This truncation point is inter-woven with the definition of what counts as de-identified and what uses are permitted for what length of time.  I continue to believe that greater clarity on how long data is retained, for what purposes, and with what provisions on the back end (delete, deID), are operationally key issues for the compliance spec.

I would welcome concrete and specific proposals, but the first was debated and did not receive even widespread support, let alone consensus, as I recall.  On the second, I thought de-identification was about not being able to identify people, not that the records about identifiable people have the URLs de-identified?

It's an odd sequence to define terms without the context of how they might be used, or any agreement to use them.

David Singer