Re: DNT: Agenda for April 10 call

On 4/11/13 7:25 AM, Alan Chapell wrote:
> Thanks Sid. Your email cut off after "should not be tied to other" -- can
> you complete that sentence?

Whoops.  Sorry.  Appears I sent an incomplete draft.  That should read:

If the intent here is that the activation of DNT (and exceptions) should
not be tied to other, clearly unrelated features: we should clarify
that's the point, and then I can probably support it.  Our goal should
be to make it obvious that when the DNT or exceptions thing is
activated, it is a result of a user wanting to turn it on.

(Given the opportunity, I'll expand on my point a little here.)

But at the same time, there's lots of related privacy features that can
be combined into one user experience; I can imagine a "tracking
protection" mode or something that enables DNT but also does some other
stuff with web cookies, cache, etc.  I think this should be allowed,
even though in this case DNT enablement is part of the "meta-feature".

On the other hand, I can also imagine a personalization mode that, when
enabled, turns on DNT:0, logs them into a social API endpoint, and
starts mashing up data for a more personal web experience.  In this
case, DNT is not central to the personalization mode, but clearly
helpful and should not be prohibited even though it's not the complete
story for this mode.

-Sid