Re: Moving "C"onsent from Tracking Status to Permitted Use?

From some brief experience implementing tracking status resources for domains, I could see some value in having a "!1" or "!3" signal.

In that case, I would suggest defining the semantics of "!" to mean "I do not claim compliance and nothing after this character should be interpreted as indicating compliance". It would help in testing because during my testing phase I could have different alleged tracking status values after the "!" so that my team can confirm that my system is returning "1" or "3" under the appropriate conditions. (And once it is, the developer can just remove the "!".)

If "!" is a strict replacement for 1/3/C then I can't deploy code that tests incomplete implementations of dynamically determining 1st or 3rd party status.

Thanks,
Nick

On Apr 3, 2013, at 5:43 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Roy
>
> I think you are answering a poorly raised I unintended question.  I was not suggesting to change your defined semantics for 1st and 3rd party, merely that whether I have consent or not, or claim conformance yet, or not, are orthogonal to those statuses rather than replacements...
>
> Apologies
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 3, 2013, at 5:23 PM, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 3, 2013, at 2:52 PM, David Singer wrote:
>>
>>> I have previously preferred distinguishing "who I am" from "how I am operating", and I feel that have C and ! as 'status' indicators rather than qualifiers means that I can no longer tell whether I am interacting with someone who thinks of themselves as a 1st or 3rd party.  So I agree, rather than C or ! as the first character, I think that
>>>
>>> 1C -- first party with consent
>>> 3C -- third party with consent
>>> 1!  -- first party under construction