Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

> Somebody tests the browser and says it is broken.  We add logic
> to the server to move the invalid value out of the way based on
> the presence of a variable, and then a BrowserMatch directive to
> set the variable based on User-Agent pattern.  I believe you know
> how that works.

Yep I know how to do that. It¡¯s going to require a whole new Apache module: mod-see-if-this-request-is-from-a-browser-that-might-be-on-a-blacklist-because-someone-thinks-it-isn't-doing-something-right.so  Should be a piece of cake to build, debug, and then keep updated across every Apache and IIS server.

¡¦and any copy of Apache in the whole world who does NOT have this ¡°new module¡± installed is also, itself, immediately non-compliant with the DNT standard and subject
to financial penalties in places like Europe?

> It is all optional, and no I am not asking them to do it.  IE is.

Ah, the ¡°optional¡± get of jail free card. And while we¡¯re on the subject of accusing IE of being non compliant you might as well add all the other browsers to that list. The default ¡°Choice¡± is being made for you, which is one of ¡°track away¡±.

Let me explain. In the absence of  a pop-up during the install which gives the user the choice of either to be tracked or not, the default is to NOT set a header which is the functional equivalent of setting a DNT:0 (maybe that¡¯s why no current browser even allows you to set a header of DNT:0).

In essence without a huge marketing campaign and a pop-up the default is to track. It¡¯s looking like Microsoft did the right thing for once and thought about protecting the consumer. But again it¡¯s all optional.

> The same way HTTP works on mobile.

Well HTTP does work on mobile. What doesn¡¯t work on mobile very well is JavaScript. So get ready to test and debug any JavaScript you¡¯re using to support DNT on a mobile device.

> I don't think the user will be surprised when a site tells them that
> their new user agent is not standards-compliant and will not be
> treated as such.

Again I come back to the ¡°How¡±. Think UI on a 4¡± screen. Also what about sight impaired people. Are we just writing them off with confusing pop-ups on their mobile devices because they can¡¯t see correctly.

The amount of work that is going to have to take place on the server is staggering. And in countries where compliance has financial penalties there¡¯s going to be huge pressure to ensure that your code is up to spec.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone

Contact information (Email is fastest)
Email:      peter.cranstone@gmail.com