Re: ACTION-43: added user-agent-managed site-specific exception proposal to Editor's Draft

On Thursday 19 January 2012 13:31:09 Sid Stamm wrote:
> Users may choose one UA over another because it makes the right decisions
> for them... then the UAs will cater to their set of users based on how
> those users want to interact with the UA and the web.

I came here, because of the conflict that may arise if the site is not honoring
DNT and the user sends DNT. Or if the site wants to track and the user is
still "unset". Or if you want to "opt-back-in". How does the user interaction
work. Do I opt-back-in by default in my configuration?

> It's a good idea to spec out how the UA communicates with web servers, and
> makes sense to provide non-normative guidance or examples about
> implementation techniques, but not normative language dictating how user
> agents help users make choices.

I think we are talking passed each other (with David and JC too). Probably
because I sound like I'm in  trenches that I'm really not wanting to be in. I
am not taking about an OK button for every cookie. We are trying to get to the
opposite and only bother the user if it makes sense. But to be aware, a site
may want to trigger such a prompt. Because I don't believe that browser
manufacturers can anticipate every possible situation in their configuration or
implementation. I was talking about such an option.

Best,

Rigo