Re: metadata in the VTT file header, re-starting the conversation

Hi

this conversation petered out, and we could really do with a way to store attributes in the VTT file header:
a) documented (standard)
b) vendor-specific and experimental, probably

Does anyone have any preferred syntax for doing this?  It's a little tricky, because one of the values I'd like to support is in-line CSS

On Dec 22, 2011, at 10:18 , David Singer wrote:

> Hi
>
> we've mentioned this in passing, and maybe we need an issue or a bug tracker for this.
>
> We probably need to put in the file header some meta-data, that could be used for (for example)
> * if the VTT file is used by a 'media player' outside a web context
> * when the file is going to be, but not yet, embedded in a web context, information that will be needed to do that embedding right
>
> These categories probably overlap.  I'm thinking of examples like
> -- "looks better if these style-sheets are used"
> -- "has an overall language of en-US"
> -- "is intended for this 'kind' in HTML"
> -- "when used with the expected mpeg-2 transport stream, <this> VTT timestamp is (maps to) <that> MPEG-2 clock reference"
>
> and so on.
>
> Do we have proposals, or are we at the use-case and data-collection stage?
>
> David Singer

David Singer