regrets for BP telecon / electronic dictionaries

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:20:56 -0400
To: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Cc: swick@w3.org, public-swbp-wg@w3.org

I had a 19 hour trip back from Japan yesterday, am taking a
little downtime. On thesaurus front, not much visible
progress to report, but I did have a number of meetings with
Japanese researchers in the electronic dictionary / NLP area,
inlcuding discussions on wordnet, skos, i18n etc.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw/2004Apr/0001.html
has pointers and a little more detail. I worked on an example
in Japanese,
http://rdfig.xmlhack.com/2004/04/13/2004-04-13.html#1081849465.502453
(after my talk at NICT http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/talks/200404-nict/
http://www.nict.go.jp/overview/index-J.html

In http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200404/i18n/jptofu-example1.xml I
start a sketch of how the nouns from an electronic dictionary could be
projected into RDF. I'd be interested to get some discussion going re
scope, ie. where 'thesaurus and similar' stops and natural-language
oriented dictionary representations start, whether the same core markup
(loose notions of 'concept' etc) could be applicable to each, alongside
some extensions.

Dan