Re: Remove SVGGlobal::parent

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:22:24 +1000
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

An alternative solution, which I think fits in best with other specs:

  * Include all of DOM 2 Views in the uDOM (all two attributes of it)

  * Include a subset of Window that includes just Window::parent (we
    don’t need to normatively reference the Window spec)

  * State that SVGGlobal and Window must be implemented on all default
    view objects (just like how HTML 5 says that for Window)

  * Remove SVGGlobal::document (since we get it from AbstractView)

  * Remove SVGGlobal::parent (since we get it from the Window subset)

  * Remove SVGDocument::global in favour of DocumentView::defaultView
    (this one would be most controversial I suppose, since it’s an
    actual change of attribute name)

Thus we’d have in the IDL:

  module views {
    interface AbstractView {
      readonly attribute DocumentView document;
    };
    interface DocumentView {
      readonly attribute AbstractView defaultView;
    };
  };

  module dom {
    interface Window {
      readonly attribute Window parent;
    };
  };

  module svg {
    interface SVGGlobal {
      Timer createTimer(…);
      void gotoLocation(…);
      void getURL(…);
      void postURL(…);
      Node parseXML(…);
    };
  };

And have wording like the following:

  The AbstractView object that represents the default view of the
  document must also implement Window and SVGGlobal.

We could leave SVGGlobal::global in there, if necessary for existing
implementations, and state that it returns the same object as
DocumentView::defaultView.

Thanks,

Cameron